Saturday, January 23, 2010

In My Bedroom

Back in July of 2006, I promised to whine here if my self-watering planter project failed to work as planned.

And you haven't read any whining, have you? Heh, heh. I only really have one thing to complain about - it turns out that those nice Rubbermaid totes aren't UV-stabilized. My sweetheart pointed this out to me, but I had no idea what he was trying to tell me until they just sort of started disintegrating in the sun. I'm not sure I mind so much. If I have to re-engineer them every couple of years, I figure I can make other improvements to the design.

And so the last-remaining self-watering planter is in my bedroom right now, with three jalapeno plants and a couple of Thai basil plants. I've got a few nice cherry-red jalapenos that need harvesting, and an unfortunately fairly healthy infestation of aphids for which I've released lacewing larvae.

Which brings me to what's flying around in my bedroom right now.



I actually feel rather bad about this. After all, there's nothing for them to eat in my house. I have no flowers giving nectar. I hardly expected a half-dozen or more to survive to adulthood, and now these pretty things are starving to death.



For a much better photo, follow this link to a BBC "This Day in Pictures" and select photo number 8.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home