Sunday, February 21, 2010

What's Up?

Since my last post I've had another birthday. This is a good thing. People I cared about started dying shortly after my last birthday, starting with my mother. I feel as though I'm getting a fresh start. As far as I'm concerned, the rest of you are alive and likely to stay that way. Please don't disillusion me. I prefer you alive.

For my birthday, my sweetheart got me The Orange Box . This is because he knows I wouldn't get it for myself, and because he knows I'm quite taken with the whole idea of the portal gun. He also knows I'm a fan of Jonathan Coulton, and would really love to understand all the references in Still Alive (shown here playing his own song in Rock Band with a most incredible line-up of co-conspirators when they only get to 99%!).

My sweetheart also got me instructions to make my computer stop crashing all the time while playing the game. And he dug out a mouse for me. And so far, he's just amused that I'm playing a first-person shooter game. And sometimes I need to go to Strategy Wiki to find the door to get out of the room. I have no problem with the concept of shoot all the bad guys. It's just sometimes I can't find the exit door after I've killed everyone. And now that my computer doesn't crash every time I go from one room to another, well, I'm not always so sure I'm in the middle of a puzzle or between puzzles. Until someone starts shooting me, that is!

Anyhow, I'm also half-way through a very strongly-recommended book on HTML. Literally, I am at the half-way point - I've completed seven of fourteen chapters. I have finished with HTML, the one chapter on XML, and am now about to finally learn some CSS. I really, really need to be able to write CSS instead of being able to read it well enough to understand what's going on. After I finish this book, I plan to start on Python.

Mind you, what I really want to do is finally get my head around Prolog. Although, in truth, I don't suppose that's really what I'm after. What I think I really want to do is be able to write my own inference engine. I should probably go find myself someplace that teaches what I'm looking for and just sign up. But that would be too easy, wouldn't it? And there are too many other interesting things to learn along the way.

Anyhow, I'm knitting another Clapotis. This one is in Artful Yarns Broadway. Oh, and yes, I'm knitting socks, too.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bobbi said...

still here

February 24, 2010 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home