Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

So, due to twitter, I learned that LeVar Burton's birthday is the day before mine. And he's older than I thought he was. I'm surprised but shouldn't be, since I know I'm no judge of age.

Which is good, because I'm now 40.

This week-end, my sweetheart took me to see Coraline in 3D. We had sticker shock. At a matinée. It was fun, and the kiddies in the theater were well-behaved. No screamers.

I finished an Argosy today. I need to weave in the ends and take pictures. This was Secret Pal yarn - it made a nice scarf. I may be spreading the Argosy meme at work. Bwa ha ha ha!

In the past month I've also learned to spin. With a drop spindle. Make yarn from fiber. Yeah, I had been ... avoiding it. Yet something else to become addicted to. It's very rewarding and slow going at the same time.

I am also making a "rib warmer" from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Workshop. You will hear here whether or not I had enough yarn. It is going to be very close. I've turned the last curve and I'm garter stitching up the final piece. If I don't have enough, I'll have nearly enough. I won't be more than a couple of rows short. I've weighed this thing no less than six times.

Apparently turning 40 makes me more likely to take a chance at working really hard for nothing. I used to do that by accident and kick myself; now I realize it's likely and do it anyhow.

I've also taken to hoarding things I like. I used to devour limes on sight. Now I put them in the fridge and take them out to look at them from time to time. I have chocolate chips that I could just eat out of the bag, but I'm saving them for something special.

And yet ... I can still get worked up over nothing.

And I'm still madly in love.

Can't beat that.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Mine's today. I am 42. At 40 I decided to start working really hard for nothing. So far it's working out beautifully!

February 18, 2009 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you've enjoyed your big day and will turn it into a festival. Once you turn 40, birthdays should last at least 3 days...if not longer...festival fashion!

February 18, 2009 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home