Sunday, June 22, 2008

The SP12 Question of the Week

So, the question of the week is: As a kid, what did you look forward to most about summer vacation/break/holiday?

Endless hours reading, bicycling and programming on my father's TRS-80.

It's funny, during the period that I'm thinking of, I wasn't knitting much. Actually, I never knitted much as a kid, but I did go through phases when I'd knit stockinette squares and tubes. I didn't actually make anything until my late teens.

But I remember my grandmother worrying that I'd ruin my eyes from all that reading.

At my grandparent's house, where I actually spent most of my time, I didn't have a bicycle, so I did a lot of reading. Their house is now mine, and I still don't do any bicycling to speak of - my grandfather built his house near the top of a rather steep hill. So did my father, but we were located on a fairly flat part and there was a small, sparsely-populated block with a slight rise where I would go back and forth for hours. I never much liked exercise, but I'd put up with pedaling uphill so that I could turn around and coast back down it.

But on rainy days, when I was with my parents and not my grandparents, I'd spend hours in front of the computer, writing programs in TRS-80 Basic level 1 and then later level 2. One year I even got to go to computer camp. I was never so happy as I was that year with all those other kids (you know, they were mostly boys?) who were as addicted and even more addicted to making the computer do stuff than I was. It was really great.

It was kind of like last week.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I used to be a Comp Sci & Engineering major (briefly!). I remember in 7th and 8th grade I could manage a few programs in BASIC, and later in Pascal. That is about as far as I got when it came to my major.

As for SP12, I sent you your first package late last week, via Parcel Post, hoping that it wouldn't get there until you were home. I kept adding things and I had to stop myself! I hope you like everything!

HUGS!
Yur Secret Pal

June 23, 2008 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home