Saturday, June 28, 2008

SP Question of the Week #3

What would you consider the perfect amount of stash?


Well, that's a tough one. As soon as I want to make something and don't have the right yarn for it, I don't have the right amount of stash. I suppose for me content is more important than quantity...sort of. I guess the perfect stash would be enough to make a sweater out of everything ... so that I could make a bunch of smaller items with the leftovers. Right now I find myself wishing I had more solid colors, because I'm playing with my Japanese knitting books, and cables and lace seem to show up (show off?) better on solids than variegateds.

On the other hand, define stash? I think for me it's more than just the yarn. It's the books/patterns/sources of assistance as well as the tools. I'd consider my Ravelry account to be a kind of stash, since it's a stash of everything from organization to inspiration. The yarn stash is too much with nothing to make from it. And it's too little - or just wrong - if it doesn't lend itself to being made into something.

So I suppose I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect amount of stash. I think it's a perpetual work in progress. And like anything else tightly tied to an attempt to foresee the future, occasionally you have to go through it and decide if it's something you want to keep, use, or find a new home for.

Maybe the next question will be a little easier? Nah. I think too much.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home