Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pot Luck

I have an irrational dislike of pot lucks. I have unpleasant memories of digging into what appeared to be perfectly innocuous dishes only to discover that they were horrible and I had to eat them, lest the anonymous but present cook notice and be insulted.

When I have to cook for a pot luck, I usually cook too much. I panic if I have less than a huge pot of food, just in case - what, I'm not sure.

I've solved my pot luck dilemma by distracting myself with a challenging task: cook vegan. (My sweetheart just piped up, "Not an actual vegan, you understand. Just something that they'd actually eat." He has the sense of humor I lack. Sorry.)

So, I found this great website: http://www.vegan-food.net/. I pick a recipe, substitute a couple of things because I'm on the other side of sensible, and take it with me, terrified that there won't be enough.

So I ended up modifying a recipe from that site. Warning: this has a lot more smell to it than it does flavor.

Approximately 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Approximately 2 chopped onions
Approximately 1/2 chopped dried ancho pepper (Not enough. This was a substitute for 1/2 teaspoon cayenne. I should've thrown in the whole pepper)
Approximately 1 teaspoon dried mustard powder (This was supposed to be two tablespoons but I didn't have that much. I'd encourage you to add more)
1 can chickpeas

Saute the onions in the oil until golden. Add the pepper and dried mustard. I didn't add enough. At this point, I threw it in the fridge overnight. The next day, I put the sauteed onion mixture together with the rinsed and drained can of chickpeas, added 4 cups of water and simmered for an hour. It was fine. Next time I'll throw in more seasonings and see if I can manage to have any vegetable broth on hand.

Oh, yeah, the recipe called for cilantro. I can't stand cilantro. If I had any parsley on hand, I would've thrown some in.

It was a little watery, but good.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

I LOVE your sweetie's vegan comment - LOL at my desk! I refuse to participate in potlucks anymore... I explain that I'm a terrible cook and rather than risk poisoning everyone, I can bring wine, or soda, or paper goods, or I'll stop at the bakery for cake/pie/other yummy desserts!

June 02, 2008 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home