Monday, July 23, 2007

Less is Really Much More

[In which I have a conversation with a fellow sock-knitter in England and then learn how not to save money.]
First a few words to my friend Anne in England. I am making my Sockapalooza socks in the Crosshatch Lace pattern found on page 90 of More Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. I'll post a picture after I put batteries in my camera. By the way, I sincerely hope you have been safe and dry this past week. The news would have us believe that all of England was flooded, but I know that's not true, because my sweetheart has been in and around Croydon this week and has hardly seen any flooding at all. Those of us left in Connecticut, on the other hand, experienced a tornado warning.

Ok, now, my adventure in (not) saving money. I have signed up for the Lapland Hand Garments, Mittens from Rovaniemi class at Webs. Read what the Harlot has to say about it. How could I resist? So, the preparation homework requires that I come equipped with 25 yards of Cascade 220 or the equivalent. Now, for those who, like myself, didn't know why they named it Cascade 220, I have the secret answer for you right here: 220 stands for 220 yards. That leaves...math after dinner, even simple math after dinner, is not a good idea...195 yards. So. I went shopping on-line. And I discovered the following:
  • The Village Sheep in New Milford (driving distance from my home): in-stock, $7.50/ea.
  • Webs in Northhampton, MA (hours from home): out of stock, price ignored
  • Average price on the internet in-stock: $7.00/ea. plus shipping.
  • Ebay, right color: $5.60+$3.50 shipping = $9.10.
I decided to go to the Village Sheep. It was clearly less expensive.
Well...no. I came home with my required skein of Cascade 220, one skein of Tofootsies and one skein of Mountain Colors Barefoot.
I am not sorry.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find the SAME phenomenon!!! Less is always SO much more!!! Glad I'm not the only one.

July 26, 2007 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home