Friday, January 13, 2006

First Real Post

Previous posts where I whine about my mother being impossible to understand (before her new doctor explains to us that she's got some "vascular problems" in her brain) have been deleted, and this post begins my blog's attempt to have a purpose. - edited 2/22/2006

Maybe I'll blog about staying sane myself. I accomplish this by knitting, programming, reading and most especially sharing my life with my sweetheart.

Last night I finally got to a JoAnn Fabrics and got the waistband for my first ever knitted skirt. I'm at the point where I have to finish the waistband so that I can decide if I like the length. I don't remember if I bought 10 or 12 skeins of yarn, but I do know I've got 2 left. Mind you, I call this the bologna-skin skirt, because it's a ribbed pattern and clings to every bump. For everyone who has been kind enough to notice that I've lost 10 pounds in the last year, this skirt proves I've got plenty more I could lose! However, if I wear a top that covers me over my rear, it looks good.

Also, I think this time I'm going to be able to finish a pair of socks. I've started before, but this time I think I can follow the directions. Major thanks to the friend at the local SNB who told me to use larger needles! Don't ask me why I was convinced I had to use 000 and 0 needles, but I'm now using size 1 needles, I'm getting 8 stitches to the inch, and it's going comfortably. I'm using a surprisingly expensive pattern, and I'm not following it exactly. But all I'm really changing is the pattern on the cuff. The heel and toe, and strategy of knitting two socks at one time on one circular needle are coming from that book. You can find it here, if you like.

There's a new Sockapalooza starting soon, and I'm planning to join it. You can watch the blue blog with me to see when it opens!

Maybe this is going to become a knitting blog.

Maybe not. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home